Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous (benign) tumors, commonly seen in women of childbearing age. Fibroids are composed of muscle cells and other tissues. They develop in and around the wall of the uterus or womb. Uterine fibroids are usually round or semi-round in shape.
Read more about Fibroids, what causes them, their symptoms and treatment options.
Learn more about Menstrual Disorders: what are the symptoms and what could be underlying problems and causes?
Learn more about Ovarian Cysts, what they are caused by and how they can affect your overall health.
Fibroids Treatment Options
Different methods are being used for managing uterine fibroids. Surgery is considered the best modality of treatment. The common surgeries performed for the management of fibroids include:
- Hysterectomy or removal of the uterus
- Myomectomy or selective removal of the fibroids within the uterus
- Laparoscopic or open surgery
- Other techniques that are performed in specialist centres include cryosurgery, MRI guided ultrasound laser therapy, uterine artery embolisation or occlusion. All techniques may have an effect on fertility and pregnancy so the pros and cons should be discussed with your gynaecologist)
- Non surgical methods including medications that modify hormone can be used to impact the growth of fibroids and should also be discussed with your gynaecologist.
Non-surgical methods comprising of steroidal medication are also used to stabilize the estrogen levels in the body.
08 9388 7780
Unit 7/10 McCourt St,
PERTH WA 6007
08 9284 2333
Fertility Specialists of WA
25 Queenslea Drive, Claremont
PERTH WA 6010
08 6217 3800
Fertility Specialists South
First Floor, 764 Canning Hwy, Applecross
PERTH WA 6153