Endometriosis is a common gynaecological problem affecting women of reproductive age. It occurs when the tissues of the uterus start growing on surfaces of other organs in the pelvis. Endometrium may grow on ovaries, fallopian tubes, outer surface of uterus, pelvic cavity lining, vagina, cervix, vulva, bladder or rectum. You may feel painful cramps in the lower abdomen, back or in the pelvis during menstruation. You also may experience heavy menstrual bleeding, painful bowel movements or urination and infertility.
Endometriosis Treatment Options
There are several endometriosis treatment options available. These will minimise the pain as well as control heavy bleeding.
- Pain Medication: Over the counter pain relievers may be helpful for mild pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications will be prescribed by your doctor in cases of severe pain.
- Hormone Treatment: I recommend hormone treatment if there is a small growth and mild pain. Hormonal preparations can be taken in the form of pills and shots. The combined contraceptive pill can also be used to reduce painful periods if taken continuously.
- Surgery: Surgery is an option when you have multiple growths, severe pain, or fertility problems.
- Laparoscopy: During this surgery, growths and scar tissue are removed or burnt. This is a minimally invasive technique and does not harm the healthy tissues around the growth.
- Laparotomy or major abdominal surgery: This involves a larger cut in the abdomen which allows the doctor to reach and remove the endometrial growth.
- Hysterectomy: It is a surgery that involves removal of the uterus. This procedure is done when there is severe damage to your uterus and when you don’t want to become pregnant.
Want to know about the effect Endometriosis can have on your fertility? Click here to read more.
08 9388 7780
Unit 7/10 McCourt St,
PERTH WA 6007
08 9284 2333
Fertility Specialists of WA
25 Queenslea Drive, Claremont
PERTH WA 6010
08 6217 3800
Fertility Specialists South
First Floor, 764 Canning Hwy, Applecross
PERTH WA 6153